September 26, 2007

Back to School Night

What do you do when your oldest child has a complete idiot for an English teacher? And when there is no teacher - only subs for science? And the only option is to have her drop her French 1b class ( which she enjoys and wants to have a full year credit before she enters HS)? And one option is to transfer her into and English class with a permanent sub?

I wonder why the Mt Diablo School District is failing miserably and teachers are fleeing as fast as they can? I know my hubby did. My intention is to be long gone by the start of next school year. To somewhere where a child's education is important to the school district, not just to the good teachers ( which, fortunately, both kids have a few!)

Maybe homeschool doesn't look so bad..........

4 comments:

Tristan said...

that sounds frustrating! Good luck with that!

Tristan said...

I am glad you liked my headband :) I will be selling them in my Etsy shop, but I wanna get a few made up first. That may take a while, cuz I need spare time to do it...and you understand that as a mom!

Amy Jorgensen said...

Hey Hillary--
What happened to Mt. Diablo???? How sad that they are going down the tubes. If it makes you feel any better, things with the schools out here are ok, but we pay $6000 each year in property taxes just for the right to send our kids to an acceptable school system. Nice. You said you are trying to move -- where are you headed, do you think? We can't decide where to land after we finish residency...right now I"m even open to Alaska. Hope you can get things worked out. For my senior year I had to choose between an english teacher that was well into Alzheimers (the school district could not fire her) and one that came to school so plastered every day that if you lit a fire in front of his mouth he would probably singe the eyelashes of the kid in the back of the room just breathing. It's just too bad we can't pay teachers what they deserve so we can keep the good ones around long enough to feel like they are making a difference. Good luck. Amy

Cherity said...

Hey. Thanks for your comment! I was also thinking how proud Kim would have been of him this summer.
And BTW Justin say's "hi".